The Romsey Yarn Bomb Bollard Covers are back for 2018! The bollard covers are going up earlier this year than last year’s (March 29th till May 8th) and have a spring theme. Despite the hard work and my complete lack of knitting/crocheting ability when starting, I loved being involved last year, so I have signed up this year too. I have the same bollard to decorate (no.44, on The Hundred, just outside M&Co), which I think should now be known as The Heidi Piercy Bollard 🙂 !! Last year I made a Rabbitswood Fairy bollard to go with my children’s books and this year I thought I would stick with the fairy theme, but make one of the fairy house trees instead. Here’s my design for this year’s Romsey yarn bomb:
Once I had sketched out my design, I started crocheting the boring background bit. I took it everywhere with me, much to the exasperation of my husband, even the car wash! While he was scrubbing the car on the outside, I was crocheting away on the inside…not the way to break down those gender stereotypes!! 🙂
I have just finished making this background bit and now I can get onto the more interesting parts. As it is a spring theme, it means lots of green leaves for the top of the tree. I wanted these to be made in a variety of different styles and materials to give the canopy a more of an interesting texture. One of the best things about last year’s project, was all the generous contributions I got from friends and family and this year I have already had some brilliant offers of help from some wonderfully talented friends and some great local groups. (I will write a long list of thanks to you all soon, but for now please know that I am very grateful for all your help and support!) If you or your children would like to make leaves to go on the bollard cover please just let me know, the more the merrier!
The other day I made a few with my children to go on there. We started by gathering lots of died out oak leaves from the actual Rabbitswood Fairy House trees. Then we took them home to paint and do rubbings with them.
I also had a go at crocheting my own oak leaves. Obviously, as per usual, I didn’t really want to follow a pattern, so I just made it up as I went along, but they seem to have turned out ok.
I’m obviously still not finished making my Romsey Yarn Bomb bollard cover, but I promise to keep you updated on how I get along.